So this is a basic cupcake recipe. You can top with any icing of your choice. Once you've mastered the basics, you can then go on to make other types of cupcakes and variations of the recipe. Happy baking!!!
You will need:
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of milk
Note: I've found that 1/2 cup of sugar is too sweet for me, so if you want to reduce it a wee bit, that's fine. Maybe just a little below half a cup would be fine. But then again, our tastebuds may be different! lol
- Get all your equipment out...mixing bowl, wooden spoon, measuring cups, sieve, baking tray, etc. Place the paper cases in the cupcake baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius (gas mark 5).
- Weigh out all the ingredients.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix the butter/margarine and the sugar until absolutely smooth, pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one egg at a time, making sure the first is well mixed in before adding the second.
- Then add the milk and mix in.
- Sieve in the flour into the mixture...this helps to incorporate air into the mixture and makes a lighter cake. Gently fold in the flour. You should get a nice dropping consistency.
- Then spoon in the mixture into the cupcake baking tray. You can make each paper case about 2/3rds full.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for about 15-20 minutes. To check if it's baked, you can put a toothpick through and if it comes out clean then it's all done!
- Leave out to cool for a while before decorating as you wish.
Happy baking...do try it out and be sure to give some feedback! thanks.